Issues LGBT Couples in Texas Face in an Adoption
When you consider how many children need a loving home, it’s amazing that there are agencies who still don’t support LGBT adoptions. There are same-sex couples who desperately want a baby. Since they can’t have one on their own, their options are limited. Adoption is a great solution for LGBT families. Even in this day and age, when same-sex marriage is legal, LGBT couples still face issues when it comes to adoption. This is why it may be a good idea to contact an LGBT adoption attorney in Texas.
The kind of people we would want to adopt a baby should have certain characteristics, such as:
- Financially stable
- No drug or alcohol addictions
- No criminal history involving violent crimes
- No history of abuse of a child
- A stable home for a child to live in
If a couple can offer these qualities, there is no good reason to deny their adoption. Unfortunately, a lot of adoption agencies have a bias against LGBT couples. And, while LGBT attorneys can’t change how these people think, they can help protect your rights.
Texas LGBT adoption attorneys know how difficult it is for a same-sex couple to adopt. Their goal is to work with their clients to secure them the family they’ve been dreaming of. If you and your partner are looking to adopt, you should contact a Texas adoption lawyer.
LGBT Adoption Lawyers in Texas Know the Rules
You have to meet certain requirements to adopt a child in Texas. These requirements apply no matter who is looking to adopt. Whether you’re a straight couple or an LGBT couple, the rules don’t change. However, there are certain issues that face LGBT couples.
In order to adopt a child in Texas, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be 21 years old
- Be financially stable
- Be a mature and responsible adult
- Complete your application for adoption
- Complete criminal background check
- Share personal information of you and your partner
- Agree to a home study
Ideally, if you meet these requirements, you should have no problem adopting a child. However, it isn’t that easy.
Your Texas Adoption Attorney Will Help You Overcome Challenges
It’s disturbing to think that people are still biased against LGBT couples when it comes to adoptions. The truth is, when social workers review applications for adoption, they look for certain things. One of the things they do look at is sexual orientation.
Some of the things social workers ask include:
- Will children be molested by LGBT parents?
- Will the child be bullied or harassed because they have LGBT parents?
- Are same-sex couples able to provide role models for their child?
- Aren’t children better off with a mother and a father?
- Will children raised in a LGBT family grow up to be gay?
- Will children face developmental issues growing up in a LGBT household?
There is absolutely no evidence that any of these things are true. People simply have biases against LGBT couples. However, you do need to know what you’re up against. Your Texas LGBT adoption lawyer will do their best to fight these biases.
Do Same-Sex Couples Have Any Legal Protection When It Comes to Adoption?
Typically, when it comes to LGBT couples, only one person actually adopts the child. You can always complete a second-parent adoption after you’ve adopted your baby. Your LGBT attorney can help you do this.
A single parent has a better shot at adopting a child than an LGBT couple. One way to avoid some of the bias is to complete a single-parent application. While this may not seem fair, it is the truth.
Your LGBT adoption attorney in Texas can help you navigate the second-adoption process. This way, both you and your partner will be legal parents for your child. This is important for a few reasons, including the following:
- You won’t have to worry about your child losing their inheritance rights
- Both parents will have custody rights should you divorce
- You don’t have to worry about either parent running into problems when it comes to your child’s education and medical care
Contact an LGBT Adoption Lawyer in Texas
If you and your partner are looking to adopt but are afraid your application will be denied, contact an experienced LGBT adoption lawyer in Texas. They can help you navigate the adoption process and improve your chances of finding a baby.
Your attorney at E&W LGBT Family Law understands the challenges facing LGBT couples today. They’ll work hard to help you and your partner create the family of your dreams.
Share this article: